+351 925 611 076
Email :

Legal aid in Australia is legal aid from the government. Each State and Territory has its own Legal Aid Commission, which is responsible for administering legal aid. There are legal aid offices in cities, suburbs and towns across Australia. If you would like to discuss your case with someone to see if legal aid is available, you can contact LawAccess NSW on 1300 888 529 or visit the nearest legal aid office. If you apply for legal aid for a family property or domestic violence settlement, you could have an interest of up to $200,000 in eligible property that is in dispute with the other party. To have the best chance of getting a grant, you should talk to a lawyer before filling out an application. There are three ways to ask for help. You must complete an application for legal aid to receive the aid. Yes, for some legal issues, there are restrictions on the amount of the grant. This is called a cost cap. If you receive legal assistance, we will inform you of this limit.

You can also ask your lawyer. Criteria according to which legal aid is granted There are some things on which we do not give legal advice. We may also provide links, information and references to other organizations. Legal issues on which we do not provide advice include: When legal aid is granted, legal aid will use one of its in-house lawyers or a private lawyer to represent the person. If legal aid has a “legal conflict” (e.g. If they can`t represent you because they already represent the other party in your case), they can often provide legal aid to a private lawyer to help you. You can find a private lawyer near you through the Law Institute of Victoria`s Legal Referral Serviceexternal link. All law firms included in the legal referral service offer a free 30-minute interview. You can use this interview to learn more about the legal issue and discuss the options available and their cost. Note that the free interview is not 30 minutes of free legal advice.

You should talk to a lawyer about your problem before you apply. You can arrange free legal advice on most personal legal matters by calling us on 1300 65 11 88 and making an appointment to speak to a lawyer. In many situations, you may not need a lawyer. Often we can help you with a legal problem by giving you legal advice and minor help. If you go to court, you may be able to get help from duty counsel. If you support or financially support others (e.g. a partner or one or more children), this will be taken into account in the means test. If another person supports you, provides financial assistance, or can reasonably expect them to provide you with financial assistance (e.g., a partner), the means test considers that person`s income and assets. Be sure to include information about your income and assets in your application for legal aid.

The Special Circumstances Guidelines apply only to property. Any aid authorised under the Special Circumstances Guidelines may be subject to a condition. For example, you may be required to contribute to your legal fees and/or you may be required to provide your property as security for the payment of such legal fees to Legal Aid Queensland. For a copy of the policy, call us at 1300 65 11 88. It could be you. One of the guidelines on who can receive a grant for legal aid looks at how much you earn and what you own (our means test). The NLA website contains data on legal aid grants and other benefits, as well as the NLA`s strategic plan, submissions for government investigations, and a set of best practice standards in legal aid. We do not deal with all types of legal issues and some services are only available to vulnerable or disadvantaged groups in the community. If we can`t help you, we`ll suggest other places to ask for help. The guidelines tell us what types of cases we can fund based on the priorities set for us by the state and federal governments. A full list of priorities can be found on our website in www.legalaid.qld.gov.au.

Priorities are set out in the Financial Assistance Policy Guide. Here are some of the priorities: To get a lawyer to conduct your case, you must be eligible for legal assistance. To decide if you qualify, consider this: if your taxable assets are greater than $930 (or $1880 if you receive financial assistance from someone else or if you are single with dependent children), you may not be eligible for assistance or may have to pay some of the money for your legal fees. You can send the form by e-mail to: grants.complaints@legalaid.nsw.gov.au. Everything you need to know about our criteria for granting aid. You must apply for legal aid if you want a lawyer to represent you in court. However, if you wish to receive legal information or advice about your problem, you can contact us without going through the application process. Some of our services are accessible to everyone.

Depending on your situation, you may be able to get other legal help. Commissions provide access to justice by providing the following types of legal advice: We use three sets of criteria to determine whether legal aid is granted. These are the Legal Aid Queensland Resource Test, funding guidelines and, in most cases, a legal merit test. Legal aid boards may grant legal aid to a person if his or her legal affairs are covered by the Commission`s guidelines and if he or she lives in the same State or territory. Legal aid may be granted for family law, criminal law and certain civil cases. In accordance with section 10(1)(c) of the Legal Services Commission Act 1977 (`the Act`), the Commission has laid down the criteria according to which mutual legal assistance is to be provided. We have clear guidelines on who can benefit from legal aid. Let`s take a look: Legal Aid NSW offers free advice on many types of legal issues. Find a consultation service near you. There are also a number of other services that can help you.

Sometimes a Legal Aid NSW lawyer cannot help you because we are acting on behalf of someone else in your dispute. If you have legal aid and that happens, we will pay a private lawyer to help you. Legal aid is granted for a wide range of criminal, family or civil cases. These may include: The Resources Test checks your income and assets to determine if you are financially eligible for legal aid. There are eight Mutual Legal Assistance Commissions in Australia, one in each state and territory. The aim of the legal aid commissions is to provide access to justice for vulnerable and disadvantaged Australians. Some of our services are accessible to everyone. Our legal advice and representation are often in high demand, and we prioritize those who need our help most.

Our democratic society is therefore based on the premise that all Australians are equal before the law, a premise that must be understood in relation to the issue of access. Legal aid boards play a crucial role in achieving equality before the law by ensuring that all citizens, including those who cannot afford to pay, have access to the legal services they need to obtain justice. Your application will be considered separately from that of your ex-partner. If you follow our guidelines on who can receive a grant (see Q3 above – How do I know if I am eligible for a grant?), you will still be eligible for legal aid. We need your permission before we can talk to someone else about your application or legal aid. Call LawAccess NSW on 1300 888 529 for information about your legal problem and who can help. Assets include real estate (houses, land), cash, stocks, bonds or other investments, as well as the assets of anyone who helps you financially, unless you need legal help because you are in dispute with that person.